Friday, May 25, 2018

NYT - Comment on Brooks' Opinion piece. "Donald Trump's Magical Fantasy World"

Brooks concludes his essay with "The more time we spend on the Trumpian soap opera, the less likely we are to know where we are or what we should do." It seems Brooks has identified the power of Trump.

When egg beaters are swirling and the eggs are churning, the only thing that seems stable are the beaters themselves. There are so many overwhelming and contradictory facts on every subject, from which foods to eat to who has the right to marry to which style sink to install in the new bathroom to which politician is trustworthy, that every aspect of life is a decision. "Give me a simple answer," says anyone just trying to get on with his life. Add to the cascade of facts an entire new world of false stories, and the average guy says, "I can't figure it out. You're my leader. I believe in you. You tell me what to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment